Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fun on two wheels

Before you start reading the "poem" that follows, let me tell you this: I don't know how poems are supposed to be written. I don't know how the lines are supposed to be arranged. Do poems have to rhyme? I genuinely have no idea.
I simply came up with the following lines while sitting through a boring class, after i had just come back from the morning trip to Van Vihar. Once back in the hostel, I made a few additions to it and a few changes. And here's the result before me, before you. It's a recollection of the little trip; lines of recollection arranged one after the other.
Try enjoying if you can. If not, I can't help.. :P
Anyway, it's dedicated to my three crazy friends: Nancy, Amrita and Didhity. Life here would not have been so much fun without the three of them by my side.


6 a.m on the first morning of September
Four best friends, different yet same
Stepped out for a little fun
Riding two scooties; one purple, the other silver
As they zoomed past the college building
They decided to take a mini-detour
To waters uncharted:
To the region where stands the hostels of the boys
A short trip
And they were back again
On the more oft-trodden paths
Drove through the streets of the city
Before halting by the front gates of "Van Vihar"

Cycling for the first time
Through the winding road
The serene lake on one side
The lush greenery on the other
The birds calling out in the silence of the morning
The roar of the lion from the jungle beyond
The leopard sitting gracefully in its enclosure
The flight of the peacocks across the waters
The crocodile camouflaged among the rocks
One deer very docile
Another a little wild
Four best friends
All sleepy but happy
With smiles as bright as the morning sun
Spent the morning thus
Cycling through the winding road.

9 comments:

  1. So that was what you were up to in class today?
    I was wondering what were you doing without you novel today.
    :P
    And by the way, poems don't have to rhyme. And this was fun it seems.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it :):)always gna remember dis day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @zave... i was in such a hurry i forgot to take my novel to class.. :P.. had no other choice but to think of an alternative to pass time in class..

    @nancy.. n thanks to you we went there today .. :)..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @zave.. n i m relieved to hear from the master-poet that poems don't have to rhyme.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And please, don't call me that!
    I'm not anyone even near to it.
    A budding poet's tag would do just fine.
    Or is it like one of Nancy's non-mean fun.
    I'm trying to guess.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @zave.. i meant it.. but since you protested,"budding poet" it will be from now.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @debo.. Its really good re..!!:).. loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. so FINALLY we got to see what you were upto .. nice haan debo :P
    PS: couldn't resist my editor ego from pointing out, "stand" the hostels of the boys...
    the poem is lovely.. ! makes me want to go tandem cycling so bad now :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ankita.. thank u.. :)

    @G.. any corrections are welcomed.. :)
    thanks anyway.. :)

    ReplyDelete